Fees and Procedures
There is an application fee of $73.25 cash, credit card (plus convenience fee), or check (payable to Wayne County Probate Court) . Background check fee and fingerprinting fee is $10.00. This fee is paid at the jail and must be cash. You will receive a receipt at the jail.
- Renewals: $30 cash, credit card, or check (payable to Wayne County Probate Court). A renewal can be done up to 90 days prior to expiration date of your current license or up to 30 days past the expiration date on your license.
- A lost or stolen license may be replaced upon payment of a fee of $6.00. A sworn statement that the license has been lost or stolen is required. If the license was stolen, the theft must be reported to the law enforcement agency where the theft occurred. The prior license will be revoked by Court order, which will be reported to the local law enforcement agencies.
- There is no refund of any part of the fee once the application is filed.
- Upon receipt of the required criminal and mental health records, those records are reviewed for the applicant’s eligibility to receive a license. (Important: Ineligible Person) Any questions concerning eligibility are referred to the Judge of Probate Court for determination. If the applicant is determined to be eligible to receive a license, the license is issued.
- The Wayne County Probate Court has no control over the length of time for the return of the criminal and mental health records from the FBI and the GBI. For new applications, this process may take as long as 4 weeks.
- The Court may not issue a license until the necessary reports have been received and reviewed.